Surveys in Salisbury and surrounding areas

Building Surveys

The Building Survey used to be known as a structural survey and can be carried out on any property. Nonetheless it is primarily designed for older properties such as manor houses, thatched cottages, old rectories and cob (chalk) cottages, amongst others.

It will highlight any significant defects that require immediate attention, comment on any repairs that will be necessary in the foreseeable future and also discuss future maintenance issues which will be necessary to maintain the fabric of the building. With older buildings especially, maintenance is the key.

Naturally adverse repair issues can also affect the value of the property, and such matters can be discussed with Tony.

A building survey does not routinely include a valuation as some surveyors are not authorised to undertake valuations. Tony, however, is a registered valuer with the RICS and he would be happy to provide this as an extra service.

Building Surveys

RICS Homebuyers Reports

Such reports were introduced by the RICS in the 1980s to cover the more modern and smaller properties when perhaps it was felt that a full Building Survey was not required.

This report is more summarised than the Building Survey and is based on a "traffic light" ratings of the condition of the various parts of the house extending down from the chimneys to drains.

It will highlight the main problems with the property, advise on matters that require further investigation, and raise potential issues which require further research by your legal advisers.

The report will also include a professional opinion on the value of the property together with a reinstatement figure for insurance purposes.

This report can also be used for older properties when some clients prefer the more summarised approach

RICS Homebuyers Reports


Valuations of properties can be required for a number of purposes to include:

  • Matrimonial (including those to be prepared for the Court)
  • Inheritance Tax
  • Capital Gains Tax
  • Asset Acquisition/Disposal
  • Litigation
  • Reinstatement/ insurance values.

Valuations are carried out in accordance with the RICS 'Red Book' (RICS Valuation Standards Manual)

Do give Tony a call to discuss your requirements.

Contact Tony Clements



Is a Mortgage Valuation a Survey?

When you buy a house and need a mortgage, a lender will commission a mortgage valuation. The valuation advises the lender of the value of a property and of any characteristics of the property including significant defects which might affect its value as security for the proposed loan. They are not surveys, which have more detail, but are for the benefit of the lender, rather than you.

The mortgage valuation involves a brief inspection (usually less than 20 minutes in length) and should not be confused with a survey. The report is for the lender and is very much a pro-forma in style and is usually only two to three pages in length. Many, but not all lenders provide a copy of the valuation report or an extract from it to their loan applicant.

Surveys can empower you as a purchaser by providing you with greater knowledge about your perspective property. There may be some expensive repairs to carry out, identified in a survey that a mortgage valuation wouldn’t necessarily pick up.

Source: RICS

Do I have to use the mortgage valuer to carry out my survey?

No , your mortgage valuer is instructed by your lender to carry out a valuation.  You can appoint your own surveyor who will be working on your behalf and report  any faults with the property to you. A mortgage valuer will not always have the same local knowledge and experience as an independent surveyor.